What are the advantages and disadvantages of PPC?
Last Updated 2 years ago
The benefits of running PPC advertising include:
- Cost effective - because you only pay when a user actually reaches your website, it can be good value for money. You can choose to spend as much or as little as you like.
- Targeted - you can choose your audience according to demographics like location, language and device
- Measurable - PPC campaigns can be set up to carefully measure effectiveness. You can determine exactly how much your return on investment is.
- Customizable - as you run your campaigns, you can make many small adjustments to improve based on what works best.
- Fast - you will see the impact of your PPC efforts almost immediately. Organic search engine optimization (SEO) tactics can take months to make a difference.
Disadvantages of pay-per-click advertising
Some of the challenges of PPC advertising include:
- Time investment - you can’t just set up your PPC campaigns and leave them. You need to invest time into optimizing and improving to get the best results.
- Skills required - it can take some practice to set up effective campaigns. Many businesses choose to use a specialist agency.
- Costs can quickly add up - if you aren’t monitoring and optimizing your campaigns to make sure you get a return on investment, money could be wasted. You will need to allocate budget for PPC campaigns, unlike SEO tactics where the investment is time and skills.
- Clicks and visits don’t always lead to sales - you will need to convince the user to ‘convert’ once they reach your website's landing page.